- Fewer than 20% off all the diamonds mined are gem quality.
- Only one polished diamond in one thousand weighs 1 carat.
- The word carat comes from a Mediterranean tree called the carob tree whose seeds were used as the standards for weighing precious stones for centuries.
- Diamonds come in every color of the rainbow but blue and red are the rarest, while yellow and brown are the most common.
- A one carat diamond weighs 0.2 grams or .007 ounces. You can mail a standard letter up to 3.3 ounces through the US Postal Service for the price of one stamp. That means that you can send 471 one carat diamonds through the US Postal service in one letter for one stamp!!!
Source: The Gemological Institute of America
Nicholle Mogavero is